Wednesday 27 July 2011

Bye Bye Gran - by Theo


It was my Grandmother's funeral today. Kay died peacefully, at the age of 95, surrounded by several of her daughters on July 15th. I had managed to see her just before she died, as my sister and I had driven up the Wednesday before, but sadly Kate and Rosie didn't get to say goodbye - we'd been planning to visit the following day.

Thankfully the intervening time between her death and today's ceremony meant that what sadness I had at the passing of a wonderful, kind, independent and generous lady had dissipated, so I was able to enjoy today for what she had wanted it to be - a celebration. As one generation removed it was easier for me than for some of my aunts, although two had the composure to deliver moving and, indeed, funny tributes in the church. Naturally a few tears were shed though, both at the service and at the party afterwards in the lounge where my Grandma had celebrated her 80th and 90th birthdays. Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, plus sisters, friends and neighbours, swapped stories over sherry and sandwiches - a very fitting send off for a grand lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment