Thursday 27 March 2008

(insert snippy title here)

Two momentous events have occurred today.

Firstly, I had my haircut. Not counting Kate's efforts during the summer, I'm pretty sure this was my first haircut since Lulu shaved it off with her clippers 4 years ago. I was completely undecided about what to do with it; advice had been coming in thick and fast from all sides; my sister lobbying for short hair, S (our cake maker) saying I should keep it, and so on. My mother even sent me pictures of Joseph Fiennes with a foppish side parting (er.... I think not) while some of the young people I work with wrote a song about how great my long hair was (thanks guys!), although they did throw in cane row plaits as a leftfield entry.

In the end - after calling Kate for advice on my mobile while the hairdressers scissors were poised above my head - I decided to keep it long. After all, I reasoned, if it was a mistake it would be far easier to reverse than if I cut it all off. Besides I've had long hair for the whole time I've known Kate so it would have a felt a little odd. So I just had a trim and had it thinned out, plus I've now discovered the joy of straighteners, and Kate and I are very pleased with the results.

The second momentous event to occur today was that I finally left work.

I was meant to finish (at REMIX) yesterday but I couldn't quite get everything done in time so I had to go in for a few hours to tie up some financial admin stuff. Fun. Still I got a very lovely farewell gift from my colleagues - travel guides and phrasebooks - while the night before the young people I work with had thrown a surprising surprise party complete with teeth rotting confectionery and a massive cake with my picture on (complete with graffiti mustache). There were songs and unexpected guests and it was all very lovely. If only I hadn't been so tired by the time we got to the pub afterwards I would have enjoyed it even more!! It's been a very stressful few days trying to get everything sorted out before I left; my problem was that I was responsible for about 20 freelancers for whom new contracts needed to be issued and several projects which needed to be wrapped up and so on. So while I'm sad to go - I started at REMIX 4.5 years ago as a volunteer and have had loads of fun working for them over the years - I'm kind of relieved too, and I'm now at least fairly comfortable that whoever comes into my post wont be totally confused by what they find!

Much love to any REMIXers reading this and my very best wishes for the future! Thanks for all the fun and music...

No comments:

Post a Comment