Sunday 30 March 2008

For once, I was speechless...

Most who know me will agree it's very unusual for me to keep quiet. But a badly timed bout of laryngitis certainly made Theo's and my wedding a more physically demanding occasion than I'd expected. Getting the declarations, assents and vows out took some determination but there was no way I was going to let a small thing like near-dumbness get in the way of such an incredible and life-affirming experience. Or, most importantly, stop me from saying out loud and in front of the dearest people in my life just how much I love Theo and want to be with him forever.

Theo didn't really need to hear me say those words - I am sure he could see my feelings shining in my eyes and beaming out of the wideness of my smile. But I felt like shouting it so everyone could hear, in the back of the dining room of Manor Hall and beyond. This is the man I love and the man I want to be with for the rest of my life!

An incredible, overwhelming, extraordinarily moving occasion and no doubt we will both reflect some more about the details when the confetti has settled and we've finished moving out of our flat and stopped being quite so busy. But if I ever had any doubts about the generosity of the human spirit and the way love can send out ripples of the purest joy, they were laid to rest at our beautiful, magical wedding.

Shame I had planned to sing my speech. Good job I had my fabulous Hot Flush acapella group to provide the music while I mimed to the sound of their voices.

I just wish I had had a series of Bob Dylan Subterranean Homesick Blues placards with me for all the people who asked when we're leaving on our travels; where we're going; for how long; can we get our jobs back and where should they deposit the tray of egg sandwiches they brought with them for the buffet?

So I croaked, husked, squeaked and whispered my way through my wedding to Theo. But I don't think anybody was left in any doubt about the depth of my conviction and love. I think that came through loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment